Saturday 8 November 2014

The worst kind of people.





I have been in many work environments, and I remember that once I ask my Dad “which is the work place where worst people are?” and he told me “I think construction” and I had that idea for a while but then I work in a lot of constructions, workshops, welder places, you name it, it had tools I worked there, and it might be luck but I had a great time and make a lot of good friends, my family says that I have a way with people, and friends say that I’m easy going, what I know is that construction is honest people most of them and they care for each other (if you don’t you lose a hand) so my conception that I had created from what my dad said.

I also worked on retail, big companies, desk jobs, movie productions and television and always found a way to get along with the job, and good people, retail might be some kind of dead end job but you manages to work your shift and hang around, big companies don’t care and you can get a relax time, desk jobs are boring but you can do almost anything there and multimedia productions are hardworking but friendly.

But then where is the worst kind of people? The answer came to me when my Dad decided to start his own restaurant, yep you guess right, the worst people are the food service people, specifically the ones that work in the kitchens, because waiters are just like some other kind of retail, but the people in the kitchen are the lowest of the low. If you are one of them just bear with me for a moment.

In the kitchens if you haven’t worked there you start as a dishwasher, what is an OK job if you only have to wash the dishes, but in some kitchens you have to do that and became everyone’s assistant and everyone thinks that you can do 30 things at the same time so the get mad if you can’t. There is this horrible idea of “I was insulted and exploited when I started so I’ll do that to every new person” and that is wrong.

Even with more arms, people want you at 2 places at the same time.

I have been every single position on a restaurant and I can run one by myself (It is horrible as hell but I can) and I never insult or exploit people, especially new people, because I know what is to be learning. And yes I have been kitchen manager and my kitchen worked as clockwork nobody was over worked and nobody was still when there was work to do, but also we have easy moments to sit and do nothing, because people need that.

By some reason most of the bosses on kitchens think that you have to be moving all the time or they are wasting money, well news flash dicks, I can finish the work and there will not be anything to do! So people can sit once in a while.

Other thing that I think kitchen people don’t get is that nobody have experience or practice on the first day, so any rituals that you have on your kitchen you have to teach them, and also where everything goes, how people talk, and give time to learn and develop a technique, for like a month the new guy is going to be not that fast.

You need to learn to do something to do it right, and for that you need time.

 Also, I don’t know if people in kitchens know this but most of people need to watch and learn, and that means stand still for a second learning how to do something but as I have seen they think that you learn by already knowing what to do, what makes no sense.


Lately people ask if their food come from ethic treatment and good farm conditions, but don’t ask if the kitchen where it was made has ethic treatment for their employees, why is more important that the chicken that you are eating was happy and had a lot of friends than the guy cleaning the kitchen? Why do I care if the cow didn’t suffer when it died, when the people working less than 20 meters away are being treated worse than the cow? Is it really important that the farmer who grew the carrots had a fare payment, when the workers of that overpriced place have not a fare salary?



Someone might say that is the stress of working in a kitchen that is super demanding, well a live TV broadcast is way more demanding and you don’t have to just put something on a pan for a minute, in broadcasts you have to deal with people, screens, cables, and is ongoing, if one camera is wrong have to fix it there and now. And even so broadcast people don’t lose their shit as people in kitchens.

I’m just going to finish saying that the worst work environment are kitchens, because most of the time there are people without patience working there and they are going to be your bosses, you get insulted, cut, burned, hit and all sorts of injuries and you get insulted for all of that. Yes the people outside the job might be good people but if under pressure they act like that, they are not that good after all.

Yeah, pretty sure she ain't washing dishes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment