Friday 21 November 2014

Pritz the Korean Baby Metal or something completely different.





I just heard of a band called Pritz, is a K-Pop band that is called by some the Korean response to Baby Metal, what I think is dumb because it has almost nothing alike.

Before going into details of why I think is something completely different let’s have a look on how K-pop works.

Well they make castings like any other prefabricated band but they make castings years before to train and educate the new “Idols” because obviously they are going to be famous, so they have their own school and classes to sing and dance and after that they release the new big band that Korea will consume for a couple of years until the new band is ready.

Wait a second, there are 5 girls in the video but only 4 in the band.


That is sand but honest and I support that because I like honest, but now this band Pritz is kind of a misfire for me because they were supposed be on the idea of super heroes, power rangers, sailor scouts, some kind of group of heroes that sing and dance, and you can see that on the video "Go girls!" Where they are some kind of 3D anime, and is kind of fun and I thought it was a fun way to present the group. Some people call this video oversexed and inapropiated, well that is just because of the art by looking like chibi anime, but there is a million animes that made the same, is to give the fun and comedic part to a anime, and is done also to characters with sexy outfits, yes some of the shots on the video are directly to the crotch, ass and cleavage well I give you that. But on the other hand, the song says "I'm a lady not a girl anymore" so it says that has grow up so making it sexy is a part of it too, so it make sense to get some T&A in the video.


No much of an outfit for super heroines.

Then you have “Too difficult ~Oh Eh Oh Eh~” that continues with the vibe of super heroines with a problem Power Rangers style and the song is quite similar so the same identity, I would like that they kept some characteristics of the other video so they could be tell apart not as a group but individuals, I’m not saying stay with the super short skirts, big cleavage and bikinis, but the cat, bunny, fox ears, or the hats, the wings, the colours, anything, not the same costume for all of them, even the power rangers got different colours, but anyway second video is starting to show the path of the band.

I just don't get the mascot thing, is a Korean thing?


After that we have “Melon Melon Watermelon” that has nothing to do with the other songs, I don’t know about the lyrics because I don’t speak Korean but the others some sort of rhythm and the chorus where really marked but here is just a soft song, that is OK still in the margins of the band, the video while is a nonstop sequence and that is always to applaud there are no elements of the past two videos, the clothes are different and looks like it was they had in storage, there is the mascot of the last video and a new one that is, you guess it, a watermelon, but there are no much of a similarity on this one to the others, but let’s just see it as an easy way out to keep it fresh

I don't get who can get offended by them.


But then we have the last one “Sorasora” that now the song somehow fits on the style of the first 2 but now it has heavier guitars and drums, also the clothes change again to a darker look, this could have been a great first video, to present a heavy girls band but you see them on her fourth video, with now a darker look and spelling the band’s name is kind of shake because I just can think “so are they a cute band, that act like super heroines, are a dark band, or just a cute dumb band?” this last video has a much better rhythm for me, but it still feels like most of K-pop bands that exist. Also I think that thing with the mascots threw me out of the video, they could have used the guys with the skull masks, or the bandages and that way it could be a good looking video. Like Baby Metal does, that the band get the skull outfits, the fox or ghosts depending on the song.

There is a lot of controversy about the arm bands that the band use in this video, well I just can say WWII ended 70 year ago! Let it go! That is a way to give colour to the wardrobe of the band, now that is all black, I embroider the coat of Helghast on my suitcase and yes I get some weird looks on the airport but people worries too much, I think it looks good if they want a darker look.

 
Helghast coat of arms, form Kill Zone, good game.

Some Metal Magazines call “Pritz” the Korean rival of “Baby Metal” but I don’t think so. I mean the format of K-Pop is a factory and the girls of the band were trained to be some sort of band and I think that at the end the producers tried to change it and resulted on a prefabricated band trying to find its own identity.

I thought I’ll never live to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment